Seasonal Staff Positions
* Staph is a traditional spelling for “Staff”; our enthusiasm and energy are infectious!
Programs in 2017
- The National Youth Science Foundation (NYSF) will operate the National Youth Science Camp in 2017.
- Seasonal positions for the NYSCamp are described here.
- Read the application information below and then fill out the required Online Application Form.
Review of applications will start on November 1, 2016, and will continue until all positions are filled. Applications submitted after January 31, 2017 might not be considered. Applications will continue to be accepted until all positions are filled. If you have any questions, please send E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ONLINE NATIONAL YOUTH SCIENCE CAMP “STAPH” APPLICATION FORM
- Criminal Background Check – This will be completed after you have been offered a position on staff, but your final hiring will be contingent upon a satisfactory report.
Most staph positions are considered cabin/residential staph and will also serve as counselors. Because NYSF programs emphasize the development of close knit communities, cabin staph will maintain the same hours as the delegates in order to minimize fatigue and cabin disruption and to maximize cohesiveness and community spirit between delegates and staph. Additionally, most staph positions will serve as overnight trip staph for the programs’ outdoor activities.
As staph positions are filled, slight adjustments will likely be made in job responsibilities. All staph positions provide general support and frequently assist in other areas; program directors can assign additional duties. The use of alcohol and illegal drugs is strictly prohibited – throughout the entire employment period. The National Youth Science Foundation strives to offer programs that meet the highest standards of fairness and sensitivity with respect to sex and gender, age, race, religion, national origin or physical condition. Behavior that contributes to the creation of an unwelcoming or hostile atmosphere of any kind will not be tolerated.
While salaries are admittedly modest, there are significant fringe benefits. Meals and lodging are provided free of charge; laundry service is provided at the NYSC. Travel expenses will be reimbursed up to $500 (more if the budget allows or as market requires as determined by the director). A successful applicant’s experiences are sure to be memorable and opportunities for other intrinsic rewards are directly proportional to each individual’s level of creativity, energy, objectivity, knowledge, and good humor.
Base pay rate is $65 per day, plus lodging and food. This daily rate is increased by the sum of the following increments to recognize education, training, and experience working in NYSF programs:
- Education Increments (Single increase for highest attained***)
- Undergraduate Student:
- Completed Freshman Year: Base pay rate
- Completed Sophomore Year: $2/day
- Completed Junior Year: $4/day
- Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent: $6/day
- Graduate Student: $8/day
- Master’s Degree or Equivalent: $10/day
- Doctorate: $15/day
- Undergraduate Student:
- Relevant Professional License/Certification:
- Current Teaching License: $3/day
- Registered Nurse: Variable
- Other: Variable
- Experience Increments (Cumulative, including all Foundation program experience)
- $1/day per year of NYSC Staph experience
- $0.50/day per year of WV GSMS Staph experience
- $0.50/day per year of WVYSC Staph experience
- Positional Increments:
- Additional increments may be assigned by the director to reflect program responsibilities.
*** If you have more than one degree at a particular level, you will be recognized at the next highest level. For example, if you have both a B.A. and a B.S. then you would receive the increment for having a Master’s Degree. Please note that increments are not cumulative.
Example: A staph member who has worked 3 years at NYSC and 2 years at GSMS, and who holds a bachelor’s degree and teaching certificate, would be paid $78/day:
- $65 base
- $6 bachelor’s degree
- $3 teaching license
- $3 NYSC experience (3 X $1)
- $1 GSMS experience (2 X $0.50)
National Youth Science Camp
The NYSF will operate the National Youth Science Camp (NYSC) at Camp Pocahontas hosting approximately 102 students representing each State of the United States of America and the District of Columbia (two delegates each) and an additional 17 international students representing eight countries.
Potentially Available Positions – Director reserves the right to combine or change positions as needed based on the skills and experience of potential staff, job duties will be defined for position offers.
Important NYSC dates for 2017:
*All dates are approximate and subject to change. Please do not book any travel until you are hired and receive confirmation of date and location!
- NYSCamp office staph arrive in Charleston, WV or Dulles, VA in early May to early June. (Final date to be determine by staph appointment.)
- NYSCamp Outdoor Adventure staph arrive in Charleston, WV or Dulles, VA around May 31, 2017
- NYSCamp staph arrive in Charleston, WV or Dulles, VA on Wednesday, June 7, 2017
- NYSCamp moves to Camp Pocahontas on Thursday, June 8, 2017
- NYSCamp delegates arrive in Charleston, WV on Wednesday, June 14, 2017
- NYSCamp delegates depart Saturday, July 8, 2017
- Non-Office staph depart Friday, July 14, 2017
- Office staph and Public Information staph departures will vary, but expect to depart no later than Friday, July 21, 2017