Seasonal Staff Positions
So, you want to be a Staph* member…Here’s what you need to know and do.
Programs in 2020
- The NYSFoundation plans to operate the National Youth Science Camp (NYSCamp) in 2020 at Camp Pocahontas.
- STEM Academy – To be announced.
- Seasonal positions for the NYSCamp are described here. The NYSCamp Director reserves the right to combine or change positions as needed based on the skills and experience of potential staff, job duties will be defined for position offers.
- Read the application information below and then fill out the required NYSCamp Staph Application.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until all positions are filled. Applications submitted after January 31, 2020, might not be considered; however, you are encouraged to apply. Applications will continue to be accepted until all positions are filled. If you have any questions, please send E-mail to email@example.com.
- NYSCamp Staph Application
- Criminal Background Check – This will be completed after you have been offered a position on the staff, but your final hiring will be contingent upon a satisfactory report.
Most staph positions are considered cabin/residential staph and will also serve as counselors. Because NYSF programs emphasize the development of close-knit communities, cabin staph will maintain the same hours as the delegates in order to minimize fatigue and cabin disruption and to maximize cohesiveness and community spirit between delegates and staph. Additionally, most staph positions will serve as overnight trip staph for the programs’ outdoor activities.
As staph positions are filled, slight adjustments will likely be made in job responsibilities. All staph positions provide general support and frequently assist in other areas; program directors can assign additional duties. The use of alcohol and illegal drugs is strictly prohibited – throughout the entire employment period. The National Youth Science Foundation strives to offer programs that meet the highest standards of fairness and sensitivity with respect to sex and gender, age, race, religion, national origin or physical condition. Behavior that contributes to the creation of an unwelcoming or hostile atmosphere of any kind will not be tolerated.
While salaries are admittedly modest, there are significant fringe benefits. Meals and lodging are provided free of charge; laundry service is provided at the NYSCamp. Travel expenses will be reimbursed up to $500 (more if the budget allows or as the market requires as determined by the director). A successful applicant’s experiences are sure to be memorable and opportunities for other intrinsic rewards are directly proportional to each individual’s level of creativity, energy, objectivity, knowledge, and good humor.
Base pay rate is $65 per day, plus lodging and food. This daily rate is increased by the sum of the following increments to recognize education, training, and experience working in NYSF programs:
- Education Increments (Single increase for highest attained***)
- Undergraduate Student:
- Completed Freshman Year: Base pay rate
- Completed Sophomore Year: $2/day
- Completed Junior Year: $4/day
- Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent: $6/day
- Graduate Student: $8/day
- Master’s Degree or Equivalent: $10/day
- Doctorate: $15/day
- Undergraduate Student:
- Relevant Professional License/Certification:
- Current Teaching License: $3/day
- Registered Nurse: Variable
- Other: Variable
- Experience Increments (Cumulative, including all Foundation program experience)
- $1/day per year of NYSC Staph experience
- $0.50/day per year of WV GSMS Staph experience
- $0.50/day per year of WVYSC Staph experience
- Positional Increments:
- Additional increments may be assigned by the director to reflect program responsibilities.
*** If you have more than one degree at a particular level, you will be recognized at the next highest level. For example, if you have both a B.A. and a B.S. then you would receive the increment for having a Master’s Degree. Please note that increments are not cumulative.
Example: A staph member who has worked 3 years at NYSCamp and 2 years at GSMS, and who holds a bachelor’s degree and teaching certificate, would be paid $78/day:
- $65 base
- $6 bachelor’s degree
- $3 teaching license
- $3 NYSCamp experience (3 X $1)
- $1 GSMS experience (2 X $0.50)
Important dates for 2020:
National Youth Science Camp:
Dates are approximate and subject to change. Please do not book any travel until you are hired and receive confirmation of date and location!
- Applications submitted after January 31, 2020, might not be considered.
- Initial employment offers to be issued no later than early March 2020.
- Select office staph arrive in late May to early June.
- Outdoor staph may arrive in early June.
- All other staph arrive on June 11, 2020.
- NYSCamp delegates arrive on June 22, 2020.
- NYSCamp delegates depart on July 15, 2020.
- Most staph depart on July 22, 2020.
Ok, now that you have read it all, go to the Staph Application
* Staph is a traditional spelling for “Staff”; our enthusiasm and energy are infectious!