Part-time Staff Positions
Director of the National Youth Science Camp
- Review of applications will begin on August 15 and will continue until the position is filled. The anticipated start date is on or before October 1, 2019.
- Downloadable Position Description
The National Youth Science Foundation seeks applications for the part-time position of Director of the National Youth Science Camp.
Application Requirements: To apply, please submit the following as separate documents in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format via E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover letter expressing your interest in this position.
A list of three professional references to include their name, title, E-mail address, and phone number.
All transcripts for higher education coursework and degrees. Unofficial copies are sufficient for application; official copies must be received before hiring.
- Revision: May 30, 2019
- Position: Director of the National Youth Science Camp
- Reporting Relationship: Executive Director
- Classification: Part-time (Recognizing that the workload will vary considerably throughout the year.)
- Primary Work Location: National Youth Science Center (when in session)
General Summary: The Director has primary responsibility and authority to plan and conduct the NYSF’s flagship program, the National Youth Science Camp (NYSCamp), at the National Youth Science Center (NYSCenter) in Davis, West Virginia. The NYSCamp is an annual program that honors approximately 120 recently graduated students (age 16-18) with two students representing each US state, Washington, DC, and others from around the world. This part-time position extends throughout the year with 24/7 in residence responsibilities while the program is in session during the summer. Additionally, the Director manages an exemplary stewardship program that continues relation building with all NYSF stakeholders, including current participants, alumni, donors and potential donors, and others who have the potential to provide support to the NYSF.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree (required) or Master’s Degree (preferred) from an accredited college or university with a preference for degrees in STEM-related fields.
- Demonstrated management and leadership ability.
- Valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the recruitment, employment, training, and supervision of all necessary temporary (seasonal) staff members with assignment at the NYSCamp, including:
- Program staff (approximately 30 staff members with direct contact with delegates)
- Support staff (approximately 10 staff members including kitchen, custodial, and grounds)
- Oversee the distribution and collection of all necessary employment forms and preparation of all necessary payroll documentation according to NYSF protocol.
- Along with the executive director or his/her designee, propose a comprehensive budget for the NYSCamp.
- Support fund-raising activities related to the NYSCamp.
- Support the executive director or his/her designee in preparing, submitting, and servicing grants and grant applications for the NYSCamp.
- With support from the executive director, prepare all NYSCamp-related leases and contracts.
- Develop a program calendar for the NYSCamp.
- Coordinate the selection of delegates to the NYSCamp following NYSF guidelines.
- Coordinate all necessary logistics related to the delegates’ participation in the NYSCamp including distribution of information and collection and processing of forms.
- Develop and implement an academic program consistent with NYSCamp tradition that often includes as many as 45 volunteer guest STEM expert presenters.
- Coordinate all necessary logistics related to the participation of volunteer presenters.
- Develop and implement a program of special events in the tradition of the NYSCamp.
- Develop and implement an outdoor adventure program in the tradition of the NYSCamp.
- Coordinate the publicity of the NYSCamp.
- Coordinate the evaluation and improvement of the NYSCamp in cooperation with the NYSF Program Oversight Committee.