Full-time Staff Positions
Director of STEM Programs
- Review of applications will begin on August 15 and will continue until the position is filled. The anticipated start date is on or before October 1, 2019.
- Downloadable Position Description
The National Youth Science Foundation seeks applications for the part-time position of Director of the National Youth Science Camp.
Application Requirements: To apply, please submit the following as separate documents in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format via E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover letter expressing your interest in this position.
- A list of three professional references to include their name, title, E-mail address, and phone number.
- All transcripts for higher education coursework and degrees. Unofficial copies are sufficient for application; official copies must be received before hiring.
Revision: May 28, 2019
Position: Director of STEM Programs
Reporting Relationship: Executive Director
Classification: Full-time, exempt
Primary Work Location: National Youth Science Center (NYSCenter), Davis, WV
The Director of STEM Programsis responsible for planning, organizing, marketing, promoting, and directing STEM Explorationsand STEM Academiesconducted by the National Youth Science Foundation (NYSF) at its National Youth Science Center (NYSCenter) and other locations. The Director advocates for informal STEM learning opportunities and supports the vision, strategy, and program plan of the NYSF. The Director works with school officials to facilitate integration of STEM programs with published curricula and support field trips to the NYSCenter. The Director oversees the development and administration of the NYSCenter’s educational spaces which include various makerspaces, a computer teaching hall, a presentation hall, an environmental science laboratory, and an outdoor outfitting center. The Director works collaboratively with other NYSF staff to promote the mission of the organization and to facilitate program funding.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree (required), Master’s Degree or higher (preferred) from a regionally-accredited college or university in a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM)-related field or in STEM education with a substantial STEM component is required
- Substantial experience in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics education, preferably including grades K-12
- Demonstrated leadership, flexibility, and creativity in decision-making and program development
- Knowledge of curriculum standards and applications in the subject areas for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Expertise in the implementation of authentic learning processes and best practices across the curriculum
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships
- Skill in implementing effective professional development activities
- Prioritize and execute a wide range of projects simultaneously
- Ability to work independently, assume responsibility, and take initiative in carrying out assignments
- Skill in communicating effectively both orally and in writing in hardcopy and in electronic media
- Teaching certification is not required
- A valid motor vehicle operator’s license is required.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds is required.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Develop and sustain relationships with stakeholders, including teachers, administrators, guest presenters, donors, support organizations, etc.
- Plan, organize, and direct sessions of the STEM Explorations and STEM Academy program series.
- Select, train, and lead program staff and volunteers.
- Present publicly to a variety of constituencies.
- Travel as required.
STEM Exploration: a two-day (weekend) program for groups of 12 students and 2 teachers. This program may include field trips, makerspace/technology activities, or introductions to STEM research. Specific content varies and may be customized to students’ and teachers’ needs.
STEM Academy: a week-long program that can either be conducted as a day camp or a residential camp and may include outdoor recreation opportunities and special events. The STEM Academy incorporates many aspects of the NYSCamp-model and is supported by tuition, fees, or sponsorships.