Youth STEAM Institute
The 2017 Youth STEAM Institute is at full capacity. Click here for updates and photos.
If you are interested in attending in 2018, please complete the Pre-Application for the 2018 Youth STEAM Institute.
Bookmark URL: http://ysi.nysf.com
The Youth STEAM Institute at the NYSCenter is a summer program produced by the National Youth Science Foundation. The Youth STEAM Institute provides students an opportunity to enhance their experience, confidence, and leadership in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM) through small-group projects guided by a mentor (typically a member of the National Youth Science Camp staff).
Program Overview: The Youth STEAM Institute projects may include: coding, electronics, engineering principles, mathematics, drones, meteorology, robotics, environmental science, astronomy, and more. Opportunities for location-appropriate outdoor recreation including mountain biking and trail hiking will complement the STEAM program. Field trips to local attractions which may include Spruce Knob, the Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge, Blackwater Falls State Park, Seneca Rocks, and the Green Bank Observatory are possible.
- Age: 12 – 16 years
- Residential Fee: $950 / week (meals and lodging included)
- Cost for West Virginia Residents is $250 / week
- Day Fee for West Virginia Residents: $200 / week (meals included, lodging not included)
- Discounted rates available for children of National Youth Science Camp Alumni (discount is $100)
- Parents may drive to the NYSCenter in Davis, West Virginia or
- Use our ground shuttle servicing Charleston, West Virginia (additional cost) or
- Use our ground shuttle servicing the Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD) (additional cost).
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is STEAM? How is it different from STEM?
- STEAM is science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics. While the NYSF’s mission primarily focuses on STEM, this program will include opportunities to explore both creative and performing arts.
- Where will participants be housed?
- For 2017, participants and staff will be housed in cabins at the Blackwater Falls State Park.