Youth STEAM Institute
The 2017 Youth STEAM Institute at the NYSCenter is a new summer program produced by the National Youth Science Foundation. The Youth STEAM Institute will provide groups of 24 students an opportunity to enhance their experience, confidence, and leadership in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM) through small-group projects guided by a mentor.
For more information or questions, please contact Dr. Andrew N. Blackwood at firstname.lastname@example.org or (304) 205-9724 x 91.
Program Overview: The Youth STEAM Institute projects will be selected to address hard-to-cover national science and mathematics standards for student learning and may include: coding, electronics, engineering principles, mathematics, drones, meteorology, robotics, environmental science, astronomy, and more. Opportunities for location-appropriate outdoor recreation including mountain biking and trail hiking will complement the STEAM program. Field trips to local attractions which may include Spruce Knob, the Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge, Blackwater Falls State Park, Seneca Rocks, and the Green Bank Observatory are possible.
At present, two sessions are planned:
- Session 1: Sunday, July 16, through Saturday, July 22, 2017
- Session 2: Sunday, July 23, through Saturday, July 29, 2017
|8 AM – Noon||Program||Program||STEAM Field Trips||Program||Program||Showcase|
|Noon – 6 PM||Check-In||Outdoor||Outdoor||Outdoor||Outdoor||Check Out|
|6 PM – 11 PM||Orientation||Program||Program||Program||Program|
- Age: 9 – 16 years
- Residential Fee: $950 / week (meals and lodging included)
- Day Fee: $650 / week (meals included)
- Scholarships may be available on the basis of demonstrated need
- Discounted rates available for children of National Youth Science Camp Alumni
- Parents may drive to the NYSCenter in Davis, West Virginia or
- Use our ground shuttle to northern Virginia or the Washington Dulles International Airport for an additional cost of $90 each way.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is STEAM? How is it different rom STEM?
- STEAM is science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics. While the NYSF’s mission primarily focuses on STEM, this program will include opportunities to explore both creative and performing arts.
- Where will participants be housed?
- Housing plans are currently under development. Housing will either be provided on site at the National Youth Science Center or in the Davis, West Virginia area. The NYSF’s Youth Science Discovery Experience – Field Trip program currently uses the Blackwater Falls State Park lodge for housing and some food service.