National Youth Science Camp
- Lecture by NYSC Alumnus Dr. Rudolph Tanzi
- Apply to attend the National Youth Science Camp – http://apply.nysc.org
- Frequently Asked Questions about the NYSC
The National Youth Science Camp is a residential science education program for young scientists the summer after they graduate from high school. Students from around the country are challenged academically in exciting lectures and hands-on studies, and have voluntary opportunities to participate in an outdoor adventure program, gain a new and deep appreciation for the great outdoors, and establish friendships that last a lifetime.
- Inspire lifelong engagement and ethical leadership in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and related fields among delegates, who possess recognized high potential for follow-through and success.
- Provide engaged learning opportunities in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and related professions that extend and enhance the traditional K12 school curriculum.
- Develop a robust network among delegates, members of the program staff, and science, technology, engineering, and mathematics professionals reinforced through community and shared experiences.
- Develop at a particularly prescient time in participants’ developmental preparation for careers in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and related professions an increased awareness and understanding of current education, research, and career opportunities they might pursue.
- Create a safe environment for expanding delegates’ comfort zones with scientific and cultural aspects of the natural world through outdoor adventure activities including backpacking, mountain biking, spelunking, and rock-climbing.
The National Youth Science Camp is made possible through the planning and fund-raising of the National Youth Science Foundation, a nonprofit organization with a mission to honor, sustain, and encourage youth interest and excellence in science by conducting comprehensive informal science education programs that provide opportunity for constructive interaction with others and emphasize the social value of thoughtful scientific careers.
The National Youth Science Camp program is strengthened through a philosophy that encourages delegates to experience each day by day. This philosophy permits the Staph* to plan numerous special events that surprise the participants. This philosophy also encourages the delegates to give undistracted attention to guest presenters. The National Youth Science Camp does not, therefore, publish detailed program calendars.
* Not misspelled; this is a traditional NYSC spelling to highlight their infectious enthusiasm