Full Time Staff Positions
Updated on December 16, 2016
Description: The National Youth Science Foundation® invites applications for the position of Development Officer. The Development Officer supports the Executive Director and Board of Trustees with fundraising operations and activities with a focus on private funding (individuals, businesses, and organizations). The primary function of the Development Officer is securing contributions to the Annual Fund.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university.
- Knowledge in the principles of fundraising and planned giving.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; strong organizational skills.
- Ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build relationships with the NYSF.
- Experience that demonstrates the understanding of the value of STEM education programs.
- A professional and resourceful/entrepreneurial style. The ability to take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Competency working with office and information technology.
- An understanding of and an ability to promote the NYSF’s mission and educational program philosophy.
- Valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Advances donors through the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship process, including face-to-face visits, proposal development, social media engagement, and other appropriate activities.
- Solicits major gifts ($10,000 and larger), either alone or as part of a team, and meets clearly defined goals for prospect visits, proposal presentations, and funds raised.
- Contributes to the development of a comprehensive plan to increase the number of prospects and donors.
- Identifies and arranges meetings with major gift prospects and follow-up efforts through regular reports to the Executive Director and Board of Trustees.
- Collaborates with the Executive Director and members of the Board of Trustees as necessary to formulate proposal strategies and identification of potential major donors.
- Maintains complete and timely records of contacts, proposals, and tasks via a centralized contact database.
- Evaluate various gift opportunities and giving vehicles and recommends the most suitable giving vehicles for a particular donor.
Terms: The Development Officer is an at-will, full time, FLSA-exempt employee; limited benefits are provided. The successful candidate will be offered an initial probationary appointment.
How to Apply: To be considered, interested individuals must submit a letter of application, resume with contact information for three academic/professional references to:
Andrew N. Blackwood, Ed.D.
National Youth Science Foundation
P.O. Box 3387, Charleston, WV 25333-3387
1 Clay Square, Charleston, WV 25301
or by E-mail in Adobe Acrobat format (.pdf) to:
Dr. Andrew Blackwood – firstname.lastname@example.org
Organization: The National Youth Science Foundation®, is a non-profit corporation established in 1983 dedicated to inspiring and preparing youth for successful, thoughtful, and ethical engagement in science, technology, and the arts. Its flagship program, the National Youth Science Camp was initiated in 1963 and continues every summer. The NYSF’s administrative offices are located at the Clay Center for the Arts and Sciences in Charleston, WV. The NYSF also operates the National Youth Science Center near Davis, WV.
The National Youth Science Foundation has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity and in that spirit seeks a broad spectrum of candidates. Contact the NYSF’s executive director, Dr. Andrew Blackwood, (304) 205-9724 x91, Andrew.Blackwood@nysf.com, for more information or if you need assistance or reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants are subject to a criminal background check.